Friday, September 12, 2014

Hunger

When I was thinking about this post out in my head I was going to say I am not comfortable with food fights but that is PC bullshit.

The truth is I am fucking completely pissed off when I see a show, music video or anything else in which there is a food fight.  Last year my youngest daughter was chosen to be in the music video of a famous SA music band called "Die Antwoord"  translated "The Answer".  They were definitely not being the answer in their music video because in the one scene in the boarding school there is a food fight.

Call me pernickety call me a anal I really don't give a fuck but I know how it feels like to go to bed hungry and I know what it feels like to worry about what your children are going to eat.  Throwing food around is not a joke, is not funny is not cool, is not fucking anything worthwhile.

For many years now I have experienced comfortable middle class living but I remember:

I remember flavouring rice with different spices to make it seem like a different meal.

I remember nursing the vegetables in my garden because if they did not grow I did not know what my children would eat.`

I remember fried rice, stir fried rice, plain rice because all we had for a few weeks was rice.

I remember boiled potatoes, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes because all we had was a bag of potatoes for a few weeks.

I remember a kindly woman at my daughter's primary school giving my daughters a meal away from the other children so they would not be mocked.

I remember being embarrassed and grateful when my middle daughter sold silk worms to preschoolers  so we could have bread and jam at home.

I remember working 3 jobs and barely being able make rent or buy food.

So yes food fights and food eating competitions piss me off a great deal.

Charities such as Food for Life are uber cool because they empower people into making their own food.

Before you consider throwing food around or wolfing too much of it down for a stupid competition rather consider who you can give it to.








No comments:

Post a Comment