Friday, March 9, 2012

Who are you?



Today I saw a name on the friend suggestion list on Facebook.  I instantly had a picture in my mind of a girl in high school.  I thought to myself, "We were not really friends but I remember her being a very pleasant person, so I am going to invite her."

When I went to “her” profile, she was a “him”.  No sex change was involved; this person was always a “him”.  I just linked up the wrong name with the wrong person.  I think I remember him.

At times when I get invites from old school friends I get really nervous.  Were we friends or were we acquaintances?  I finished High School at the end of the 80’s.  I basically missed the 90’s the decade was swallowed up into a big black hole (loooong story) and no, I was not taking drugs.   The ten years of trauma and drama mean I have lots of holes in my memory.   

Usually I remember the people but there have been people that told me we were friends that I still cannot place.

I am sure this has happened to you.
You go to the mall.
Somebody comes up to you very excited.

Stranger:
“Vivian, how are you it has been ages, it is so good to see you.”

Me (thinking please memory do something,  who is this?):
“Yes great to see you too”

Stranger:
“How are your daughters?”

Me (thinking shit this person knows my children, does this person have children as well?):
“The girls are great.”

Stranger:
“I have to run, it was so good to see you, say hi, to the girls and to Michael.”

Me (Oh thank the holy pink elephants,  I don’t have to stand here any longer trying to figure out who you are):
“Good bye”

P.S: 
A friend of mine told me that what he would do is take out his cell phone and say,
“Let me add you to my contacts, how do I spell your name?”
He fucked up badly with this because one day a person he met replied in a very cross voice:
“Its Tim, T... I .... M...., you don’t remember me, do you?”



No comments:

Post a Comment