Friday, September 9, 2011

Michael has got my back

My Dad told me a story about when he was in the army during the Second World War.  They were stationed in North Africa.  A big group of soldiers were very disgruntled about something.  It was decided that they were going to march to the Big Cheese (can’t remember if it was a sergeant, colonel or general).
Any way so my Dad and about 60 other soldiers march to the Big Cheese.  When they get to him one of the guys next to my Dad said:
Private So and So:  “Big Cheese, we are very unhappy about ....... so we have come here today as a group to point out that .....”
Big Cheese: “Before you continue I want you to look behind you.”
At this point my Dad and the other 4 guys turned around and there was nobody behind them.
If this was me I know everybody else would have buggered off but Michael would still be there.   We have been together for 8 years now and I am so blessed to have him as my husband and best friend.
When I say that I have the best husband in the world I don’t say it idly.
Let me give you some examples:
One night Michael came to fetch me from work, I was working shifts at the time and I finished work just before midnight.  Michael did not put shoes on and he forgot to take his cell phone.  5km from my work the cars clutch gave in.  He could not drive further and he could not phone me.  He was worried about me being alone on the street at midnight waiting for him.  So what he did was run the 5km to my work barefoot.   (By the time he got to me at work his feet were bleeding)
When I am sick he cooks me chicken soup and keeps the house clean.  When I am tired he makes me strong coffee.  When I am sad he buys be chocolate and tells me to Skype my friends. 
What prompted this article?  The fact that today one of my dearest friends phoned to say she is coming to visit.  I forgot that the house is a mess.  Michael did not, he immediately told me that I could choose between fetching the girls from school or cleaning the house.   I chose fetching the girls and Michael chose cleaning the house. 
This is why my sister calls him Saint Michael. 

No comments:

Post a Comment