Thursday, February 9, 2012

K is for


In South Africa we have a horrible racist word that is as bigoted as the American word that starts with an “N” and rhymes with tigger.  The South African word starts with a “K” and rhymes with gaffer.

Today at work I had to send an email to a lawyer in Cape Town.  The email was undelivered so I called him to confirm his email address.  It was all going very well and I was using the phonetic alphabet,  ““i” for “India”, “c” for “Charlie”” then I got to “k” and for the life I could not think of a single word with “k”.  So there I am totally stuck saying:
“ and “k” for.... , and “k” for......”
and all I can think of is THAT WORD. 
I don’t know how but at that moment I felt telekinetically stripped, I swear over the 1000’s of meters of fibre optic cable between us he knew that, that was the only word that I could think of. 
I put an end to it and said:
“Well never mind we know it is a “k”, @ ..... .co.za”

To which he replied:
“Yeah” (I could hear the absolute disapproval in his voice.)

But then he let me off the hook and said:
“Well maybe the file was to big seeing as the email address is correct”

I checked again and realised that was what the message was saying.

At this point I am thinking:
“ “K” is for kite, “K” is for kilo”
I wanted to shout it out but fortunately I managed to restrain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment